Thursday, March 19, 2009

It Ain't Hard to Tell!

Hmm. Why is Nas my favorite rapper of all time?! Proabably because he's ill as eff.

I always heard Nas's music growing up in Queens, but I never paid attention to his concepts until the Hate Me Now feat. Puff Daddy video came out. It was mad controversial because he dressed like Christ, carried a cross, and got crucified on it in the video. Nas was always doing controversial things, so last year when he initially announced that he was naming his most recent album Nigger I wasn't that surprised. They also shot some of the video on top of a corner store in Queens, which I always thought was cool - I remember my cousins talking about that shit for a while.

In the latest issue of XXL Magazine they did an article on Hip Hop's perfect album, Illmatic. It was Nas's debut album and the first album to recieve five mics in the Source Magazine. It's definitely a classic, and if you haven't heard it then you need to change your ways immediately! In the XXL article, the magazine does interviews with Nas, Jungle (his brother), Olu Dara Jones (his father), DJ Premier, Q-Tip, and others. It's a brilliant interview and you should check it out if you have the chance.

My favorite track on the album is It Ain't Hard to Tell, so I thought I'd would bless my blog with a throwback video from 15 years ago...

Enjoy..

1 comment: